Sunday, September 30, 2018

Ramps, Patheways & Balls: A Constructivist Endeavor in Physical Knowledge (#5-DIFFERENTIATION CONTINUED)

ACTIVITY: The activities today extended from the previous sessions where ALM and BCC worked together to (with one ball drop) have their ball move in one direction and then the opposite direction while CAC continued her work with the initial task of (with one ball drop) having her ball move in one direction and then turn to another direction.

REFLECTIONS: This activity seemed to push ALM and BCC a bit outside of their comfort zones.  I heard a few grumbles and deep sighing.  I translated these as signals for assistance.  Like each day before, I asked guiding questions.  Usually, my questions follow an audible description of what was constructed.  I usually follow, "Where is the problem?  What happens there?  Why is this happening?  How could you remedy the issue or problem?  What would make the ball move where you want or how you want?"  These questions seem to help.  I am finding that the key to their (questions) usefulness is in pressing the "pause button" on their thinking at just the right moment.  CAC continued the same behaviors as with the previous session.  I found myself spending more time guiding her process of construction.  (This can be seen in the video below.)  Everyone was able to complete the goal today.  The atmosphere was a little tense at moments.









SURPRISES: I was greatly surprised that CAC (when asked) would say the problems with her constructions lay in the ball not having enough speed and the pathway needing to be longer.  I was also shocked by her placement of materials that had no real purpose for use as the book under the first ramp in her structure.  (The ages and stages are not lining up!)  I am perplexed and fascinated simultaneously.

NEXT STEPS: Tomorrow, we will embark upon a new challenge adding an additional directional change.


No comments:

Post a Comment